Monday, January 16, 2012

I'm here!

I'm here, I promise! It's not that we've had a lack of blog-worthy events going on in our lives...we just haven't sat down and written them all down. I've been overwhelmed with the amount of time since my last post and trying to fit it all in without losing any readers' attention, so I've decided to just do a re-cap on the past year (I know, I'm about 17 days late on reflecting on the previous year).

January 2011 (late December-ish)--Jordan and I began apartment shopping in Birmingham, a task that seemed daunting but we ended up going with the first apartment that we even looked at, an apartment we were nervous would be nowhere near our price range because a price wasn't included in the apartment magazine. We survived Auburn winning their first national championship as Auburn University and even congratulated them, knowing that it was pretty incredible that teams from Alabama had won back-to-back national championships. We also survived a snow storm (okay, a snowstorm for Alabama).

February 2011--I quit a job for the first time in my life. This is huge for me, a chronic people pleaser. I began to substitute teach and realized I didn't hate kindergarten, that I actually LOVED it. The reality that we had a wedding to plan really set in, although we'd been engaged since August--what can I say, I'm extremely laid back.

March 2011--We found out Jordan had been officially accepted to Beeson Divinity School.

April 2011--Wedding showers. The Friday of my lingerie/bachelorette weekend a tornado hit south Tuscaloosa. I had never really experienced a tornado hitting nearby...that was until about 2 weeks later. One Wednesday afternoon, after a series of tornado warnings, which are so frequent and sadly often overlooked during spring in Alabama, a tornado hit our beloved Tuscaloosa. We were extremely fortunate that both of our homes were out of the trail. We were able to witness a town choose to come together and move on together. This made moving in May extremely hard.

May 2011--We moved from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham. I began to freak out about finding a job. I had an interview May 16. I had not heard back from the school and on May 25, 3 days before our wedding, I posted the following on my facebook--

Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen. -Ephesians 3:20-21

I needed to be reminded today that He is able to do FAR MORE than I ask or think.

2 days later, the day before we got married, I was sitting in Chipotle with my parents about to get my nails done, and missed a call from the school. I called back and got no answer. Jordan hurried to meet me before I got my nails down so he could be with me when I received the news. We stood outside the nail salon as I got the phone call. I found out the day before I got married that I had a job teaching kindergarten in Birmingham.

On May 28, I married my best friend. I married the person who loves me unselfishly. He builds me up but is also used to show me my faults and tries his best to make me a better person.

No comments: